Monday 30 July 2007

Own worst enemy?

Had some more time to digest Windows Vista and things are working overall. The thing that amuses me the most is the fact that the majority of the compatibility problems I've had are all Microsoft related. Office 2003 is particularly annoying, with things like multiple instances of Powerpoint unable to appear properly as previews (which would be genuinely useful) and I still haven't got to the bottom of that Word slowdown thing. Windows messenger doesn't seem to want to do the whole Aero translucent window thing either, which given that it is supposed to be Vista native strikes me as odd. Third party apps are more or less fine though. Funny that.

There are a few exceptions. CutePDF, despite claiming to be compatible, is a pain to install, which I put down to lazy programming on their part. Also, videos working in the previews work fine for everything EXCEPT Quicktime, so all the Apple fanboys out there can shut up.

Oh yeah, and I disabled the sidebar. Couldn't see the point in it.

No comments: